Randomness....

Monday, June 29, 2009

Yesterday was day 1 of the new intake. My gawd there were SO many!!! Mostly Malays which means the number of Chinese intake in local universities have dropped. I wonder why. Is it because the government did not give or are we turning them down?

This year the newbies are registering at the main campus. We are finally moving in!!! im kind of proud of my main campus. Its HUGE! Hehe. Land in Malacca is cheap.

Sigh. Today is Monday already. In 6 days I will be going to university as a 3rd year now. Sigh. I feel so old. The newbies look so young! I miss home a lot. Been thinking of skipping the first few days so that I can perhaps nick a short 3 days at Penang. But I need to clean out my new room out. I HAVE MY OWN ROOM!!! FINALLY!!!

Hehe those who want to come visit me now have a place to stay already hehe!!!
I bought a bed that is foldable. Very cool. Found 2 mattress for rm30. Its now on howards bed. So for the time being his bed is made up of THREE mattress!!! Ahahahahahaha damn comfy la. When I lie down on it, it feels like…like….nothing. im sleeping on air. Such comforts.

My time at King’s Hotel is now coming to an end. Honestly, I have never regretted anything in my life. Until now. I regret joining this course. Somehow I feel that the end does not justify the means. There are so many things I wanted to do. So much more that I wanted to experience. All I got to show for it is a fat belly from 8weeks of eating greasy malay food 3 times a day and 2 fails to show for it. Sigh. My major is so obscure that nothing I learn here, I think, can be applied on my major. I think I will have a hard time fitting into the real world.

Speaking of the real world, I now remember what was the purpose of this blog already. I think all of us were very happy when we heard that English was to be the medium for Science and Maths. In fact, I was envious. Now there is talk of changing it back to Malay. =.=
Not only the government is backing this idea but also the opposition. Wth. We are suppose to be moving FORWARD, not backward! Everyday I read about various politicians who would give their views about how Bahasa Malaysia is being threatened by the usage of English in this two subjects. Hello… we are taking 10 subjects for SPM. 3 out of 10 subjects are hardly threatening. If the Malaysian will to keep their heritage and culture is so weak, then which language we use to learn is hardly the main issue. The problem with these politicians is that they are not the students. They don’t know how it is like to learn everything in Malay only to have to relearn everything again in English. It didn’t matter how much knowledge we acquire in Science and Maths because at an international level, we know nothing. Because it is ALL in English! How do you expect us to compete in an international level?? Or hold discussions with international scholars when we are not even using the same terms and language? This is a step backwards. The government is going about this the wrong way. Why bother to ask the politicians when it does not concern them? Its like asking a trishaw peddler what is the best way to treat cancer. Sure, he can give you his views but he has to credentials to give them. Why would he? It has nothing to do with him! If the government truly wants what is best for the country’s future, they should be conducting a nationwide survey comprising ONLY the students! If at university level is conducted fully in English, what logic does it make to start the student’s foundation in Bahasa Melayu?

The government policy changes based on politician’s whim and fancy. The nation’s future leaders are paying the heavy price. How is the country suppose to grow? We as students have been very patient with the government. We are forced to carry heavy books to school, made to endure a full day school, study subjects which is not of our interest but are forced to score nevertheless. Let me ask these bright politicians, how many times in your life have you applied everything you learned in school? Look at the Americans. They are able to choose their subjects much earlier and more freedom than we do. It enables them to pursue their interest at an earlier age, giving them a headstart. They need not waste their time with subjects such as Moral. Moral values such as integrity and respect cannot be learned in a classroom from a thick, boring textbook by memorizing definitions. Singapore adopts a much longer school hours per day than Malaysians. I don’t know what they teach in class but when I talk to my cousin, he is far more knowledgeable than the Malaysian’s his age. He knows about world history. He knows about world geography. He knows more general knowledge than I do and I am 7 years older than he is. So did Singapore got it right? While our leaders are using us all as guinea pigs to justify their political agendas, the world is passing Malaysians by. My batch was the guinea pig batch. We were the first to take EST(which was compulsory for my school and is now abolished =.=) we were the first to take Science and Maths in English at Form4 and Form 5. I can tell you we were not happy about the switch. It was for the better because English is the language of Science but the transition period was hard. Science has many many scientific terms and while we studied it in Malay, it was another term. Giving that same fate to future students is not a bright idea.

When all is said and done, most of the time I can see that the Malaysian politicians can’t see or think further than 3 feet in front of them. Maybe they should play more chess and less politicking. The future of our country is getting bleaker and bleaker by the minute. Elections are determined by the young voters. I myself am a young voter and we want change. We don’t want has-beens ruling this country. We don’t want dramas and fake promises. We want brilliance. We want foresight. We want someone worthy of being a leader. We are in fact, losing out to our fellow neighbours like Philippines. Soon oil will run out. Soon we will be just like any other countries who don’t have any advantages. Soon we will all become a third world country like Africa. At least they are not delusional


0 comments: